J'taime The Pie Hole!
Let me explain. Our fab apartment makes up the top two floors of a row house. The house itself bends around the corner of North Carolina Ave, onto A street. The result is our apartment ends up being shaped like a slice of pie. Wider at the front of the house, and narrowing to a point at the back. Its kinda like a double-decker slice of pie. To add to the "pie" effect, the floors also slope slightly toward the back of the house. It is pie-like is every way. So of course, that means I LOVE it.
It is also, really old (hellllooo, Historic District? show some respect here, you young whippersnappers!). And a rental. With an absentee landlord. Which makes it just the eensiest bit of a hole. I can't really blame it. I mean, who among us couldn't use 10 grand worth of work done? (rhinoplasty anyone?) But, even without major surgery, its quite amazing what you can do with a Magic Eraser, some contact paper, and a coat of paint. Really quite amazing!
The Pie Hole never met an angle it didn't like. Except that fuddy duddy, Right Angle. Talk about a Par-tay Pooper!! The Pie Hole was right not to let lame-o Right Angle show his boring face anywhere in the whole house. Instead, we get the excitement of those wacky brothers Acute and Obtuse. They are so much fun!! Decorating is like super, duper, SUPER exciting. Camie (our resident interior designer) is really getting to flex her designer muscles!
Ok, so are you ready for a tour? YAY!! A Tour!
After coming in and up the first flight of stairs, you enter the The Living Room (Pie Crust view):
- Bay window
- Hard wood floors throughout house
- Built in wainscoating ledge (7" deep)
The Living Room, other direction (Fruit Filled Center view):
- Stairwell from entry way below
- Ample Sculptural art display area on top of stairwell.
- Cabinets, Cabinets, CABINETS!!!
- Pretty great view out to the cute backyards of our neighbors
- Good appliances (fridge keeps food cold, Oven is great, dishwasher cleans dishes!! electric stove - eh, when you can't have gas, electric will do.)
The owner has an odd love affair with spherical sconces. They are in the oddest places, such as this one here:
It has been removed, because it is WAY ugly. And was totally blinding.
Twisty stairway up to the second level:
- Butt-firming workout
- Great pie-tip angle making bed placement really ... um ... exciting!
- Huge windows perfect for hauling a box spring through
- Very nicely sized closet
- BIG mirror to match my BIG ego
- Great shower with amazing water pressure and lots of heat
- Lots of storage space under that huuuuge counter for our ribbons and bows
Front Bedroom (Window View, not such a great picture):
- Two good sized closets
- Some of that nice ledge/wainscoating we saw from the living room
- A bay window
- TWELVE foot ceilings
- Very good sized, and chock full of my new besties Acute and Obtuse
It only makes it that much more loveable that I walked to the Eastern Market (DC's premier outdoor market) on Saturday to buy all kinds of delicious local fruit and veg that I promptly cooked up into some really yummy salad and soup. And tonight I ran laps around Lincoln Park while checking out all of the eye candy who were ALSO running laps. So it's super cute and super fun. But it's also totally going to make me eat better, buy local, hang out with my neighbors, get all skinny, and meet some hot jogger boyfriend. The Pie Hole will make all of my dreams come true. Just you wait and see.