Friday, February 23, 2007

The Arcade Fires Me Up

I listen to podcasts each day on my bus commute to and from work. Usually I'm trying to keep up with my NPR Story of the Day and Marketplace reports. Both of which are generally delightful and keep me chock full of useful information. But every couple of weeks or so a new edition of NPR All Songs Considered shows up on my ipod. I also consider ASC to be informational learning - to keep me up to date on the music scene - but February 21st's edition was nothing short of epic indulgence!

What started out as a mysterious intro turned into a live concert (in it's entirety) by Indie-Darlings The Arcade Fire. Lots of excellent tracks, but with a truly amazing version of "Wake Up" performed among the audience. Holy crap - it was so good. Pure giddy joy was virtually bubbling out of me. Since I was on the bus, I had to really monitor the spontaneous singing and dancing reflex - I don't want to be one of those crazy bus ladies. This was the perfect way to start a cold Friday morning, and get me in the mood for what is sure to be an awesome weekend.

The show featured many tracks from their new album - which is in stores soon, thank goodness! But lots of old favorites from Funeral. Plus, I'll probably never get to see them live, so this is a good alternative. One of my favorite things about this band is their clever lyrics and images. For example, love this image: "So the neighbors can dance in the police disco lights". I sing this line every time I see the cops.

Thank you All Songs Considered! This is now officially a Good Day.

1 comment:

erinmalia said...

i think i have the all songs considered in my podcast queue. now i can't wait to hear it!