Wednesday, May 9, 2007

A New Motivator

As you might have guessed from my recent posts about motivation, slack-i-tude, and dieting this has sort of been on my mind. Of course, my diet from last week crashed and burned ... we knew it was only a matter of time. I didn't even bother with a "Well I'm on a diet so I really shouldn't ..." before inhaling some chocolate cheesecake and homemade vanilla ice cream. (Honestly, excuses would only have cheapened what was otherwise a divine ode to dessert.)

Diet or no, I've found a website that I think will help me to be better about not only eating better, but ... wait for it ... Exercising too! The Daily Plate allows you to put in what you've been eating (includes all types of brand name stuff as well as recipes which is quite handy). And it calculates how many calories, fats, etc you've been ingesting. You can also record what kind of exercise you've been doing, and it will subtract the burned calories - so you can see exactly how you're doing. This is perfect for me, because when it gets to the end of the day and I only have 224 calories left to eat for dinner (which basically amounts to a stick of cheese and a pickle) then I know that if I just go to the gym I can easily subtract enough calories to move into a reasonable calorie range to eat dinner! See - eating better AND exercise! They aren't mutually exclusive after all!

I've been using this for two days and so far I really like it! It's got some handy little tools that let you quickly add things you eat frequently, which is pretty nice. I'll let you know if this crashes and dies ... but so far, I'm a fan.

1 comment:

Julie said...

Okay, I'm totally going to that site! - In our household we refer to the desire to slim the physic for the summer as "getting back down to your fighting weight."

Let me just say I went swimsuit shopping the other day - and I returned with nothing but motivation to drop a few lbs from certain areas.

Thanks again for the tip Gretch!